Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The art of memory 1

Do you envy those with huge memory capacity?
Some people's brains are like a sponge,
they can simply absorb so much information and data..
You may say, "haiyoh, I also can lah if I want to."
I always know that you can do that too..
provided that you have to commit your 24-hour-per-day solely to your studies...
(Just a metaphor)

However, the biggest difference between those "people" and you is that
they can do that within a very short time
and you may have to spend a good hour concentrating on the subject..
So I suppose a "yes" from you now to my previous question
especially we have been the victims for more than 10 years
under our present national education system which emphasizes much on examination.

Nowadays, the education system stresses much on how well you memorize
rather than how well you understand..
Of course I'm not saying that this system is of no good at all...
Exam somehow still plays an important role in assessing a person's learning progress...
In spite of the fact that scores and marks are the rules to measure one's level,
the phenomenon now is that the students are too obsessed with the score,
until they lose their direction in seeking knowledge...

I would say strong understanding + effective mnemonics techniques is an essential skill or tool a student must have
I dare not to guarantee that a student will score 100% once he or she masters the skill...
but at least, he or she needs not to spend his or her everything on studies..
so that he or she may have more spare time to pursue his or her hobbies and interests...
This is very important in developing one's personality, at least I think so..

So now come to the main point..
How?
I think some of you may know the techniques..
but most of the feedbacks I've got from those who knew is that
they know the techniques, but do not know how to apply that in their studies..
学以自用...that's most important..

[Cont.]
Visualization



3 comments:

siauchiau said...

looking 4ward d next chapter.=)

zehang said...

i m waiting as well =}

Rhuyann said...

paiseh har..
i hope i will update that soon..
keke..
a bit lazy now..kaka