Friday, March 26, 2010

Letter to our servants

Read Khai Sheng's recent post: The 让 Culture: Featuring TEDxKL.
It's hitting the nail right on my head.
Why Malaysian culture is so much different?
Let's take the example of government servants.
Did I say SERVANTS?

According to thefreedictionary.com,
Servant:
1. One who is privately employed to perform domestic services.
2. One who is publicly employed to perform services, as for a government.
3. One who expresses submission, recognizance, or debt to another

now we're talking about public servant or government servant,
so let's focus on definition 2.
One who is publicly employed to PERFORM SERVICES.
So, I would assume that performing services is their job.

Whenever I enter any government department/agency office, I would expect to see the servants welcome me with their warmest smile and ask me in the most polite way, "May I help you?/Bolehkah saya membantu?"
Okay, I know. I should wake up. Well, this is Malaysia.
and most of the incidences I dealt with the so-called servants were unpleasant.

They were always so tired pointing their noses up to the ceiling.
They were always having hallucination as if they were CEOs or CCOs
They were always having moodswing and treating the public like their servants.
They were always having so much stress in fact I always see them doing the same thing everyday.


Letter to public servants

Dear government servants,

I'm here writing in to remind you your role as a responsible public servant.
First of all, the public is not your employee. You don't pay us. In fact, we taxpayers pay you.
If you don't treat us as boss, I think most of us are fine with that.
but to the least extent, treat us like your customers.
Even your big boss, our PM was elected by the people.
We've given our trust to him to choose you to serve us.
and perhaps YB should not stand for Yang Berhormat, but Yang Berkhidmat.
I think we people will never want to choose someone to just sit the topmost chair and be idolized.

You are at the very forefront representing the country to serve the people.
We're not supposed to tell you what you should do, but you should do what you should do.
So it's time to think how to be our servants.

Thank you


Best regards,
A humble Malaysian

1 comment:

~Live Life~ said...

Firstly, thanks for tagging me in your blog post...haha!

Maybe the word servant is too strong a word...if one is asked to become a good servant...he will surely got WTHLMAO...what century is this? Servant is almost like a slave...

Anyway...that's why they come up with better terms to make people feel better...customer representative...customer service...public employee...attendant...

But, whether feeling better and performing better is related...i think everything boils down with satisfaction of work and knowing the purpose of work...

Some..not some..a lot of people just work for the sake of the monthly salary payment into their bank account...they don't care the heck of how the clients feel...they are just going to see you just once...that's it...(you don't even remember me)

So, no matter what job one is doing...have to learn to find the purpose...the passion...the satisfaction...only then they themselves will feel better and in return, they will treat others better...

My two cents...