Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Advisor's advice

Recently a friend of mine asked help from me to design them a logo. Okay. That would be certainly fine. Though I'm not that kinda so artistic person with so much artistic temper, I do have some too. Giving me some suggestions to improve the design is okay for me. After all you have the ownership of the design. But please do respect our creativity and imagination.

Okay, this is what happened. I received an email this morning.
Hi Rhu Yann,
Below is a suggestion from our advisor..Can you make some changes?? Just a little change....
This is from my friend. I know he's being difficult sandwiched between me and his so-called advisor.

His advisor's original piece of suggestion:
Nice ...would suggest leave out the stero type formal men and women..and replace it with the logo of the World Volunteers Web (just google)..perhaps the logo within a large heart
..love in the air ..big heart...
From Dato' I-am-advisor (To protect privacy)
So you know what he's trying to ask me to do huh? He's so good to make use of technology and kind enough to provide me the source where to plagiarize. Awesome. You see the word "Replace"? I know why we have Proton Inspira now. And what the heck? Stereotype?! I can't believe this word coming out from his mouth. Shit!

I just can't understand what's rolling inside your mind, Mr. Dato. If you think that WVW is doing a great job and you wish to be like them, that's not that way. They had branded themselves so well, please lah, don't be copycat. That's the stupidest thing to do. Do your own branding lah.

If you just need the logo from the website, you can just ask anyone to "copy" that instead of complimenting me "Nice..." and asking me to replace my design with something else which is already existing and being the flagship logo for that organization. If this is the case, we don't need designer. That's totally bullshit. When I saw this, I could foresee our future. If this doesn't change now, we will be in big time problem.

Our world now is a Right Brain-Oriented World. Knowledge workers like doctors, lawyers, accountants, managers etc. are the persons who could apply the theory into practice and put things into order. But Right Brains outside there who are able to create things out of nothing are doing the revolution and transformation. If you are attentive enough, you could notice the change.

Conclusion: Advisor's advice may be sound but may not be right (and sometimes ridiculous), even if he's a Dato.

And what did I do after this? ^^ I won't do a single amendment on my design.

4 comments:

Angel said...

support you!in that case they might just call anyone to do the logo! =D

Rhuyann said...

THANK YOU! I should protect my design!

Custom Logo Guru said...

Nice post, i really impressed with your sharing. The logos are instrumental in building good corporate image. Thanks
dacken

Rhuyann said...

Thanks Villiam for dropping by. true. Logo is the first tool to impress the audience and build up the customer relationship. Some ppl just don't understand how a logo communicates with the audience.