Saturday, December 13, 2008

Beethoven's Death


Ludwig van Beethoven (16 Dec 1770 - 26 March 1827) is always my favorite musician and composer...
Inevitably, he was indeed a genius...
He published his first composition at the age of 8
What were you doing while you were at the age of 8?
I was still playing my Lego sets and fooling around with my lovely Mighty Mouse doll.
How about you? Perhaps, still sucking your old teat?
Feel shy to admit? Actually I was one of them too lah...haha

I told my mum once how great Beethoven was during his childhood
Then my mum said,
"I'm not hoping my sons to be geniuses...You look at those geniuses' faces lah, they didn't look like what they should be at their ages at all...3 years old looked like 13 years old...That's why they're so young died liao...Because, you know ar... they'd used up their brains so fast...surely died lah..."
"Ohh," I thought, "It might be true also."
My mum's theory sounds right...
Common sense...if the lifespan of a battery is supposed to be one year, but then you over-use it, definitely the battery can't last as long as it should be...
After looking at the picture below, you might agree with my mumThis is the portrait of 13-year-old Beethoven..
That's why Beethoven's death don't really arouse my curiosity to look into it in depth...

However, today while I was surfing...
I'd found out something very interesting regarding Beethoven's death...
Beethoven actually died from lead poisoning
The following is a short note I picked from an article in random
Through analyzing Beethoven’s hair, historian Russell Martin concluded, "His deafness, illness, and death were almost certainly the result of lead poisoning. Martin further speculates that this may have resulted from lead pencils—on which Ludwig was munching while composing music.
I can't believe this...
Pencil killed Beethoven

Argh~~
I'm so sad hearing this

Because I have no choice but to repudiate *Goh Lee Choo's theory
*Proudly to present you my mum - Goh Lee Choo

6 comments:

Angel said...

ahaha..why not petrol?

Rhuyann said...

Few reasons why petrol was not used
1)Maybe petrol is more expensive...you know lah...most of the composers at that time were not rich...couldn't afford to drink petrol...
2)If he drank petrol, he might die earlier...
3)That time, Beethoven hadn't owned a car...
4)He felt shy to put the nozzle into his mouth in front of people...
5)Lastly, he was already deaf, so maybe he still wanna keep his mouth working...

Kae Vin said...

The 13 year old portrait was kind of....scary.

and munching pencil? Lol they don't sell lollipop?

Lim Su Ee said...

You're tagged!!! haha

alicia said...

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/aug/31/entertainment/et-beethoven31

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-1598833.html

puhleeeeeze. not pencil.

~Live Life~ said...

I can imagine that scene...writing down music scores using pencils...while thinking while munching...

Hmmm...that's a possible theory too...

But I think his contribution to music is much much more significant than how he died...