Thursday, December 4, 2008

4 Precious Lessons

Reminiscing about my last semester...
I did have a happy days I would say...especially when doing assignment
In my last semester, I had a total of 4 assignments...
Erm...though 4 assignments might be just the tip of the iceberg, for me, it's quite heavy...
However, I've learned a few good lessons...

Lesson #1
Always be humble in learning

Always thinking that we are lucky to be born in a multicultural country...
We know many languages and dialects (eg.Mandarin, English, Bahasa Malaysia, Hokkien, Cantonese, Teowchew etc)
However, after working with some of my colleagues, I'm wrong...
I'm too egotistic...I'm too ignorant...
When I talked to them, they nodded...
I asked them if they understood me...they nodded...
They always took care of my feeling
They didn't want to hurt my fragile heart...
So they pretended as if they knew what I was talking about...
In the actual fact, they can't understand a single word coming out from my mouth...
I regretted...
so I'm always willing to work hard to learn another new language so that I can communicate with them well...
Or else I will have to finish the whole assignment on my own...

Lesson #2
To be independent


For Management, we were assigned in a group of 4...
I was the only odd one...
They not only treated me good unlike what a song sings against all odds,
but they were willing to train me to work independently...
A case study of 20 pages, a written report of around 40 pages plus 2 posters...
i would say besides the 10% of the written report was not done by me, I swallowed everything...
I know they wanted to train me so that I'm competent enough in the future...
I know too that they so wanted to do all these, but I was weak...I need to learn...
And yes, I learned~!!
Don't ever think that they are bad, just that their motives behind you don't understand...I'll explain further later on...

Lesson #3
Never be satisfied with the present

For Management and Antimicrobial Therapy assignments, I took up the role as the leader...
So I had the so-called responsibility to correct what's not correct...
That's one of the criteria a leader must possess...
Do the right things and do the things right

A true leader will never be satisfied with what he's having now
I think that's what the hidden message my colleagues wanted to tell...
So they never did their assignments well so that I always had the chances to look for the mistakes and correct them...
Some of them even just copied and pasted from the internet materials without even removing the HTML links and uniforming the fonts...
What an effort they did to drill me...
I was like ransacking frantically the web upside down, guessing which paragraphs were from which sources so that I won't be tagged as a plagiarist...
I know I'm lazy...so I begged them to redo them and avoid "copy-and-paste"...they seemed like suffering from *otitis media...
What the poor guys...
What to do? Scores matter to me...I still had to do it even if how reluctant i was...
*Otitis media is the inflammation of the middle ears

Suprisingly, after I handed in my written assignment, they showed up
One day early in the morning, ...


Knock!Knock!

"Rhuyann,Rhuyann...Saye XXX"
I woke up reluctantly and dragged my foot forwards to open the door.
"Rhuyann, bolehkah saya dapat written report dari you?"
"Nak buat apa?", I rubbed my eye.
"Nanti kami nak buat poster, you nak join tak?"
"Poster apa?"
"Management..."
"Ooh...", I whispered to myself.
"Nak join tak?"
Thinking, "!@#$@$#%@, now only asking me to join?!!"
"Ada siape?", I answered in monotonous voice.
"Kami tiga semua...", he said.
Thinking, "What the f?! You all are going to have a meeting without informing me..."
"Ooh, macam ni lah...tak pe lah, you orang pergi buat lah, lepas ni baru ambil kat saye..."
"Ok...Ok"
After I transferred the softcopy to him, I threw myself back to my bed.

Sometimes, I was dumbfounded by their efficiency...Maybe I'm slow...
They finished their poster within 3 or 4 hours...
Luckily I didn't join them...phew~

Masterpiece by my colleagues

Sketch by Me
Not to be satisfied by the present, that's why I produce the above poster.

Lesson #4
Never deal with donkeys

After these assignments, I learned not to talk to donkeys
Because they can't listen...
Only thing to make them move is to whip them...
Don't be kind to them, as they will never be kind to you
If you feed them carrots, they might bite you back...
That's why donkeys are too called ass

That's all the 4 precious lessons are...
Therefore, the conclusions are...
Working with a group of marvelous colleagues, I grew stronger...
Working with a herd of donkeys, I grew more patient....
Working with a group of arses, I know how to kick their ass

p/s: I should tell them earlier that I'm a performance-based kinda person rather that process-based. I do appreciate process sometimes, but also the end result. I'm not trying to pinpoint anyone but result reveals everything.

10 comments:

Kae Vin said...

lol hilarious.

The poster is classic. You should print it out and paste it on your wall in front of your bed so that you can see it everytime u wake up.

and yeah I am talking about the first one :P

Rhuyann said...

Yeah...
can use to motivate myself a bit whenever I feel bad...reminding me that the worst is already in front you...
besides, can use to chase away the bad spirits too...
so useful...

siauchiau said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
siauchiau said...

.......speechless.......

totally 2 diff posters wat..b4 n after..like heaven fr hell,mor amazing than d korean movie 200 Pounds Beauty.

ehem,i think 4 d first poster, to print in A4-size is enough d.sommor for d names of u 4 guys on d poster..jz..hmm....arr....(speechless again)...cant imagine hw if u guys hv to present on tat 1st poster,haha

~Live Life~ said...

Nice work!

I have always admired your artistic gene and organized manner...

Continue doing what you do best...you have lots of talents man!!

Hexen Ong said...

teacher~
ur such a gud writer la~
used d literary devices sooooo well
verbal irony fully mastered!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

loves the left-est-most avatar at the bottom left!

Unknown said...

no, right-est-most, bottom right =P

Lim Su Ee said...

Donkeys?? hahahaah... Ha, i remember how you literally jumped off from your chair and got so mad at one time.haha.