Friday, September 17, 2010

Knowing new friends

On 12th September 11.30pm, I received a call from my friend (President of MyPSA). He asked if I could help to guide two students from Bangladesh as they were coming to Penang. For most instances, I would say yes. No exception this time too. Then I asked for the student's number so that I could know where and when to fetch them.

11.45pm. Messaged them. "Could you let me know where and when to fetch you tomorrow?"

Message replied. "We're now on the way to Penang from Malacca. Would be reaching Penang at 5.30am."

My instant response. "What? 5.30am?" Meaning to say I needed to wake up at 4am and drive to Penang by latest 5am. Gosh, this shouldn't be happening. I only had 4 hours left to sleep in fact during this break, I normally slept at 2am. Quite impossible for me to sleep at 12am and wake up at 4am. But what to do? Promise is a promise. I wasn't not happy. Just that I felt it's a sorrow not to sleep more than 8 hours. At the end of the day I'd been the tour guide and driver for around 18 hours from 6.30am to 12.00am though, it's a pleasure journey.

Met two new friends from Bangladesh, Rajiv and Siam from Pharmacy Students' Society for Bangladesh.
Rajiv and Siam
Nasi Beryani. Something that could be found in their country too


Snake temple.

Batu Ferringhi
Floating Mosque
The first mosque that I entered in Malaysia
I had my first experience entering a mosque too. I was ashamed. I've been living in Malaysia for 23 years but it's foreign tourists who brought me into a mosque and explained the essence of Islam and the prayer. Rajiv zealously explained me the steps of performing the ablution and then led me into the praying hall and told me how the prayer should be carried out. Then I just stood behind the hall and observed Siam doing his prayer.

Again, it's a way to get myself closer to Malaysian culture and understand more about our national religion.

After that brought them to a Malay seafood restaurant to try out some Malay cuisine - Ikan bakar with Su Ee. That called a day off and it's already 12.00am. T.T I still had to drive back home. Haih~

3 comments:

eikhong said...

wao man ! what are u in usm a university student ,an organiser or helper for green lung campaign and now a tourist guide!!!

Rhuyann said...

haha..an amateur tourist guide..

eikhong said...

ya true but its also a vry special experience!keep on the hard work, INSPIRING YOUNG MALAYSIAN!!!